Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Traditional Chinese Martial Arts
 Lion Dance
 Lion Dance Puzzles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

hasayfu

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2006 :  17:48:29  Show Profile  Visit hasayfu's Homepage Send hasayfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't been more active on this topic. Crab is similar to what I have been told. I have never done this chang though. The other one is under the bowl is a live crab. I'm not sure why it's appropriate to do the crab chang. One difference, we always take care of the weapon first. So we would go after the claws before the eyes. I'm finding we are unique in this area. Seems a lot of teams go for the eyes first.

For snake, I'm taught a snake eats wealth. So the Chang is used when you have an obstacle to wealth or a competitor taking your business. Like SD says, impedes is a good word.

Here's a question. I'm taught the orientation of the snake relative to the chang is important. (ie. which way it is facing) Do you have this restriction?

finally, I've only heard the snake as a poison chang. I've never heard it considered lucky. Isn't the word, sei? That's closer to death (though not the same) then luck.

Again, just what I've been taught. The more I learn from outside the lineage, the more I see differences.
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  01:50:07  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hasayfu

Sorry I haven't been more active on this topic. Crab is similar to what I have been told. I have never done this chang though. The other one is under the bowl is a live crab. I'm not sure why it's appropriate to do the crab chang. One difference, we always take care of the weapon first. So we would go after the claws before the eyes. I'm finding we are unique in this area. Seems a lot of teams go for the eyes first.

There are teams in singapore and malaysia that do it both ways. Everybody has different philosophy. As long as you can explain reason logically why you do it that why its ok. Some even attack from the front.

quote:

For snake, I'm taught a snake eats wealth. So the Chang is used when you have an obstacle to wealth or a competitor taking your business. Like SD says, impedes is a good word.

See we learn something new everyday. I'm talking aout doing it when a competitor trying to take your business, makes sense.

quote:

Here's a question. I'm taught the orientation of the snake relative to the chang is important. (ie. which way it is facing) Do you have this restriction?.

The way I was taught about the setup, animal always faces the cheng and the head looks a the store/household. This is two fold, animal, when cheng is not buried within him is guarding the cheng, watching it. The other is manners. Because you going jump the animal from behind, you never show your butt to the VIP. Like the buddha, emperor, etc., you always back out.

quote:

finally, I've only heard the snake as a poison chang. I've never heard it considered lucky. Isn't the word, sei? That's closer to death (though not the same) then luck.

Yes, se cheng/she qing. That's the common word for snake/serpant green, but a venomous snake also known as fuk/fu. Try looking it up in the dictionary. It really isn't considered lucky. Fuk/fu in fung suei/feng shui is represented by the bat. And the green snake and white snake also considered demon(s) (females)in chinese mythology and so bad. Chinese have so much duality though. In a sense by eating the bad, you are getting their good fortune. Which brings us back to what you said about another competitor.

quote:

Again, just what I've been taught. The more I learn from outside the lineage, the more I see differences.

A lot has to do with philosophy of thought. Meaning Hung mun, taoism, fung suei, buddhism, martial etc. Keep it coming Hasayfu. Tell us about some of the qing you were told about, saw or done.
Did I mention, a lot of animal puzzles like snake and dragon have to consider the VIP birth sign. Pig and snake enemies, dog and dragon enemies, so you no do this chengs if VIP the opposite.

Edited by - SleepingDragon on 03/14/2006 01:52:33
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2006 :  05:16:57  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I'm back in hawaii at least until the end of the month, then its off island again. So here's another puzzle for you to ponder. On the ground is a round shallow Chinese wooden bucket/basin. On the inside and on both sides is a picture of a chinese coin the same size as the surface of the circular bottom. Under the bucket is the greens and li-see. The theme is called Money rolls in. How do you solve it?

Yogi, HaSayFu southernfist and everybody else you are now on the clock.
Go to Top of Page

southernfist

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  02:24:50  Show Profile  Visit southernfist's Homepage Send southernfist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Hing-dai I am not sure nor was taught this chang or puzzle so i am out.

Southern Fist
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  00:38:17  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't hide behind the curtain of never did this one. Puzzles are perpetual, in order to solve things, you have to learn by doing. Reread the post and venture a guest. Its all there in the description and the theme. This is how you learn. Some require more indept thinking and knowledge of hung mun or feng shui. This one is common sense.
Go to Top of Page

Ngokfei

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2006 :  12:24:20  Show Profile Send Ngokfei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
here's guess:

Probably has something to do with flipping the bucket over while
a. Keeping the green isnside
b. using the bucket to balance on. I know the 3 coins have something to do with it but what???
Rolling, so is the bucket rolled on edge??

Money Rolls in?

eric hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  17:49:44  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since nobody but ngokfei is the only one willing to play. You are very close eric. The cheng is actually on the underside of the bucket. After investigating the bucket, the lion turns it on its side and rolls it into the store to complete the rebus money rolls in. Everybody got it? Simple wasn't it? A lot of you I bet are kicking yourselves right now and saying is that it? Duh! I told you it simple. But separate the elite from the ordinary, the lion can do a couple of stacks before turning the bucket over. First a single leg thigh stack with one leg on the bucket follwed by a head sit with the tail jumping onto the bucket with both legs. Then the tail jumps off with the head landing on the bucket. Without jumping off the head turns the bucket on its side, balancing on bcuket and rolling it in to the store (tail helping the head stay balanced and atop. The hardest part would be if you started on the street, then the lion will have to hop the curb without getting off or falling off. Then the lion plays the cheng.

Some puzzles are simple some require more knowledge of say the chinese language, stories, and religious rituals.

Somebody please share their experiences here. So I don't have to do all the typing : )
I'm sure people are getting tired of me talking, as Hasayfu said, cheong hee-long winded-hot air : )
Go to Top of Page

Ngokfei

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2006 :  20:18:16  Show Profile Send Ngokfei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah, Money Rolls In !!!

I have a routine I learned from Yee Chi Wai but can't remember it fully.

Its based on the 3 kingdoms novel character Jeung Fei and his exploit regarding the Bridge.

The Routine includes a plank raised like a bridge with a Snake Spear lying in front of it.

hey pete (southern fist) you out there. I remeber the ending but is there additional significance.

eric hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  22:19:28  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Zhang Fei at Chang Ban. I take it the plank is atop some tables or on a chinese chair (bench)? And the serpant spear is between the lion and bridge? Correct me if I'm wrong.

So what do you remember? Do break the plank or remove one of its supports?
Go to Top of Page

Ngokfei

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2006 :  12:26:00  Show Profile Send Ngokfei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't remember the order but.

there is a demo of the snake spear I believe after the character destroys the bridge. I was told that a board was used to represent the bridge but some also use a slab of stone. I guess its similar to the breaking of the sugar cane legs of the crab routine.

eric hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2006 :  08:04:45  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay that's what I was told, break the bridge or remove one of the supports. Do a demo with the serpent spear last. What about before that and where did you folks place the serpent spear? On the near side of the bridge (the side nearest the lion) or the far side of the bridge? In that case what did you do with the spear before destroying the bridge? Or was it placed on the side? Did you folks place the greens on the near side or in the middle of the bridge and take it when?

So SouthernFist whats your input on this.

How about you yogi or you hasayfu? Or anybody else?

Edited by - SleepingDragon on 05/12/2006 08:07:47
Go to Top of Page

Yogi5

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  03:00:42  Show Profile Send Yogi5 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never did a spear. Sorry I haven't been contributing lately. Been rather busy with the new job and dealing with the LA commute (I hate it!). Please continue with this puzzle with the bridge, I don't want to steer this thread away.
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  03:33:14  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay nodbody wants to add anymore? Here's one.
You see a piece of pan filled with water, coins at the bottom of the pan, also placed in the pan is a head of lettuce along with two tangerines and the hong bao/hung pao. The lion also sees a peice of wood, a lit candle in a glass, a mound of dirt, and a piece of metal. Beside each of these is a tangerine. These objects form a sort of circle.

BTW it is called Wu Xing Qing or 5 Element greens.

Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

Ngokfei

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  20:56:15  Show Profile Send Ngokfei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would have to be

Eating the tangerines in order of the Creation Theory/Destruction pertaining to the 5 elements?

The water in the pan would be the last of the 5 elements.

or

Each of the tangerines from the other elements is brought together in a particular order into the pan.

Never learned the basic coin puzzle, appreciate heads on it. (triad, or lucky 3 significance?)

eric hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Edited by - Ngokfei on 06/20/2006 20:57:45
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  20:40:39  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, so far you are correct water is last and you do it with five element in mind. So what do you do first second third and forth? How would you play the tangerines. Also, on a side note what 2 elements should you never do first (at least the way I heard it anyway)?

BTW, additional note, when doing the last part is Double Happiness Visits the Household and the Presentation of Great of Wealth/ Prosperity (Shuang-hsi lin-men and Sheng-cai ta-hsien).

Edited by - SleepingDragon on 07/04/2006 20:44:32
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2