Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Traditional Chinese Martial Arts
 General Topics
 chinese hell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hu tei

USA
70 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2007 :  15:51:38  Show Profile Send hu tei a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there any book or books that describe in detail what the chinese version of hell is like? Something along the lines of Dante's inferno?

" c'mon pookie, let's burn this mutha****a down!"

Tholf

136 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2007 :  04:15:06  Show Profile Send Tholf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't point to any book, but based on my experiences with Cantonese people, I think Cantonese hell would be the absence of other people or anything else to look at.

The experience of HK colonial gaol administrators is consistent with this:

quote:
I can only repeat what I have frequently urged that in my opinion the introduction of the separate system is (especially in this Colony) essential to proper prison discipline. The ordinary Chinese prisoner better fed, housed and clothed, with far less hard labour to do than an ordinary coolie finds nothing deterrent in our Prisons as long as he lives in association with companions day and night but I believe that under the separate system the Chinese criminal classes would prefer even the hardships and cruelties of a Chinese prison to the long isolation of this system and that its introduction would be speedily followed by a considerable diminution in the number of Prisoners.

Mr. A. Gordon in Victoria Gaol Superintendent's Report for 1889 (see You must be logged in to see this link.

In the West, hell is other people. In Guangdong province, hell is the absence of other people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2