Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Traditional Chinese Martial Arts
 General Topics
 The Death of a Nice Forum...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2007 :  19:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have visited from time to time to see if there were anyone from the old days that posted. Unfortunately the answer is no. this was such a nice forum. I really enjoyed meeting and talking to all of you. I still get to say hi from Time to time to Dragon Claw and Ten Tigers which is really nice. To the other Martial Brothers that I've had the opportunity to share info with, Thank You... I wish you and all of your families the very best in the future.

Sifu, Kyle Weygandt
"East Wind Shaolin Boxing Academy"

"They are all perfect"...

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  05:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still visit daily to see whether there is anything going on. I think many left after the forum disappeared for a while. Quite a few had left after SFO had disappeared already, so not many were left anyway ...

Back when SFO went gone I offered to setup a forum on one of the servers I have access on, could even setup a domain for it, but that was vigorously denied in favor of this place. I wonder what happens when this place goes down for the new place the mods are working on. Even less people left over? I'm afraid so ...

Too bad :) But more time left over for real training ;)

BTW, last I understood the mods of the old SFO wanted to setup a new place as well. But that idea never got solid ground?

Every tiger started as a kitten ...
I like my whisky old and the woman young!

Edited by - Asmo on 02/14/2007 05:07:33
Go to Top of Page

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  08:54:00  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bless you and your Family Asmo...Hows that cute little Baby?

Hope all is well with you. Would like to talk some time...

Kew-Do

Go to Top of Page

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  10:47:02  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well, thank you :) Its an awesome little dude, very strong, and strong willed. We'll see what he will turn out to be ;)

I'll be around still here. Who knows the forum will come to life in another burst of activity. It has done so, so I dunno why it wouldnt again.

Go to Top of Page

southernkungfu

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  19:30:44  Show Profile  Visit southernkungfu's Homepage  Click to see southernkungfu's MSN Messenger address Send southernkungfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately it happens - I can't make people post and many of the regular SFO guys who followed here didn't follow and the few that did well with all the recent nonsense that went on and I certainly played my part in it - hav stopped posting as well here.

I can't do much about about it though except hope that in the future there will be some new blood.

Good luck to everyone.

DJCaldwell
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Cannibal Bob

Australia
8 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  07:15:21  Show Profile Send Cannibal Bob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate to be presumptuous since I never really post here, although I do check fairly often to see if there are interesting discussions, and I'm not one of the old guard, but I have a suggestion that may help attract new people.

I've noticed that you can't read posts and search the forums unless you are registered here and logged in.

Maybe if people could read the forums without registering it would allow people to lurk for a little while before joining to see if they like it, since a lot of people would probably just see the register/log in page and decide not to join.

Also, allowing outsiders to view the forums would probably make topics on the forum show up on Google searches, meaning that people doing searches on martial arts would have more of a chance of finding the site. That is how I found most of the forums for which I'm registered, whereas I only found this one when somebody on Martial Arts Planet linked to it, and I nearly didn't join because I couldn't look through the site without registering.

Again, just a friendly suggestion. I too would like to see the forum come alive.
Go to Top of Page

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2007 :  10:41:22  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that was chosen to be set that way as there were many people lurking and not contributing in any way.

Personally I run several community based sites, and can savely say this will always be the case, only a small minority will contribute and the vast majority just stops by to gain knowledge without putting anything back in, for whatever reason...

Go to Top of Page

DRleungjan

30 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  14:24:14  Show Profile  Send DRleungjan an AOL message Send DRleungjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello there...how's everyone doing?

Asmo quoted: "Personally I run several community based sites, and can savely say this will always be the case, only a small minority will contribute and the vast majority just stops by to gain knowledge without putting anything back in, for whatever reason..."

I hope you don't mind me jumping in for a bit...as far as my experience (among many factors for the time being) is concerned, I think I am in that minority you speak of. I feel that I really don't have much to contribute...YET. So I come in and check and if I see that I can contribute with my experience or sample thereof then I do so. It's why you will see so few of my posts. But I often find that many discussions are carried out by very senior member of the Martial Forest so to speak and find myself a bit overwhelmed on how some discussions turn as far as their level of understanding is concerned. I find that any contribution from me would be either very raw or either too 'low-level'. Asmo, I don't know if this is a wrong way of thought but it's how I feel. And believe me I have seen and read some VERY interesting convos by some member of this forum. I still have the same interest that I had coming here since day one...and until this forums closes it's doors I will still keep on coming and checking and hopefully be able to share some insights.

If I had to give a suggestion though, I'd say just to add a beginner level sub-forum (with maybe some search capabilities on the more general discussions carried out on the forum? I saw this feature first on the Romanarmytalk Forum and always quietly thought this would be a great idea for many of the forums that I have visited) for relative newbs and maybe these can in some way learn and grow and hopefully contribute through their experiences in the future. Would that be a good idea? What do you guys think?

Best regards,
DRleungjan
Go to Top of Page

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  15:04:46  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DRleungjan, I actually feel the same way ;) I know my contributions wont mean much to the more experienced Hung Gar players on this forum. But I do try to add something where I can though.

With "for whatever reason" I did not wanted to talk down on you, or anyone else though. Guess my lack of English might got me here again with a wrong choice of words. And with 29 posts you're making a helluva lot more posts then the majority of subscribers anyway ;)

Go to Top of Page

DRleungjan

30 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Send DRleungjan an AOL message Send DRleungjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no Asmo...I didn't take anything personal...I actually welcome when something that's said makes my noogins wake up and work a bit. Your statement did just that, HEHE!

Go to Top of Page

Tholf

136 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2007 :  04:51:20  Show Profile Send Tholf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I pop in every day to check for recent posts and post when I feel like I have something somewhat worthwhile to contribute, but generally the same perspective as DRleungjan. I'm not sure if a newbie sub-forum would work that well as it might not get the attention of more advanced practitioners who could add value but don't hang up in the sub-forum much. Perhaps another approach would be using topic tags that I've seen in some forums (eg Something Awful forums) some that the person starting the topic can indicate that it's a "Newbie discussion" topic or the like.
Go to Top of Page

Sifu at Large

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  08:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Sifu at Large's Homepage Send Sifu at Large a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, time is really the biggest issue. I would love to be a bigger contributor to this forum, but time runs away with me, and before I know it, I have not posted in months, sometimes I havent even looked in on the place in weeks.

However, I feel very strongly that a beginner should not feel that they should not post here. Many of the people who have been around a while tend to get stuck in a certain way of thinking, and then they get stale. I like talking to my students about applications in the forms training. "What do you think this technique is for?" Sometimes they will state the obvious, but other times they come up with things I never saw! I love it! Beginners, please don't hold back!

A few things which need to be expressed;

Within the Chinese Martial Arts, there are people who will self promote shamelessly, and slander anyone else who does the same.

There are forums where people will state an oppinion, and be proclaimed a "kung fu God" for it, but if another expresses an equally valid viewpoint, they are torn to shreds (usually with baseless arguements and childish name calling).

Some of the people who were here early in this forums days may recall a rather lenghty discussion which had a ton of insinuations of knowledge and WAY too much hair splitting in the area of verbal expression of answers which answered nothing (I admit I egged it on a little, feigning interest in some secret knowledge which isn't there...). People want to seem important.

People want to seem knowledgeable. BUt people run out of things to say.

I think for mature people, the rather ugly incident of not so long ago here is not a big deal. This is an internet forum.

People will run their mouth from time to time. But the bigger people can suck it up and move on.

CMA Politics comes into play as well. This is one of the reasons I am glad that I don't hold banners for anyone but me.

DJ - I applaude your work and effort here, and if the forum continues and grows, it will be a good thing. I wish you luck, and ask that you keep in touch!

Wallace Smedley
Hung Gar
Go to Top of Page

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2007 :  21:14:34  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very Nice Post Sifu At Large

Go to Top of Page

southernkungfu

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  00:46:58  Show Profile  Visit southernkungfu's Homepage  Click to see southernkungfu's MSN Messenger address Send southernkungfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wallace and I appreciate your support and others. I do still have plans for the forum to grow and expand but right now I'm changing careers. Actually going into the Kung Fu Business and going to be running schools with Sifu.

It's exciting for me - 10 years as a Corporate Exec and now I get to use all that knowledge to help our schools grow and expand. The best is I get to do two things that I love to do. But once we've got this next school open I hope to get some forum things worked on again and see what I can do to help get the forum back on its feet. The CMA politics is going to always be there and I've learned that I'm going to have to accept it and continue inspite of it.

Thanks again and I'll drop you a line soon.

DJCaldwell
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2007 :  11:19:08  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never get involved in the policitcs...I just like to talk to you crazy guys Damien. That's what I miss.

Great discussions, debates, a sharing between Kung-Fu Brothers .....and laughing at some pretty funny stuff at times.

Do you remember the guy that posted on here for a while who was delusional and was booted to another forum where he called himself Dragoneercheers?

That guy was always worth a daily laugh..

Kyle

Go to Top of Page

siu cho

11 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2007 :  23:24:30  Show Profile Send siu cho a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Cannibal Bob, and I've held this position since the very beginning. I fully understand why the administrators made the decision that they did with regards to keeping the forum locked. But it is the primary reason why I don't even check if there's anything new. It's a personal thing, and it might seem like a very small deal, but it is what tips the scales in favor of not coming. Primarily, my issue is one of time. But when I do have the time, I just don't feel like having to go through the process of logging in and then subsequently logging out just to check if there's anything to read. And that's after I mess with the cookie settings of my browser first. Yeah, the cookie preferences only need to be set once, but by the time I'm done going through it, I don't feel like reading, much less contributing, anymore. That's just how I am.

Regardless, like I said, I understand why the administrators decided on locking the forums. I have run my own share of boards in the past, and there are so many things to deal with it really can become like a full-time job. Locking the boards is almost trivial compared to having to deal with trolls and--this being a martial arts board--egos and the like. So no matter how much I might disagree with one of their methods, their willingness to put the time and effort into making this place a good place for talking and sharing with and between styles has garners nothing but respect from me. After all, I am here, with an account of my own.

--------------------------------------
Lurkers have no sig.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2