Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Traditional Chinese Martial Arts
 General Topics
 Street fighting = real kung fu
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  05:12:34  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
first off this is may be something a lot of people dont want to hear but IMO the odd bit of trouble on the street that we Martial artists encounter and deal with is less an indicator of real kung fu or real fighting ability than a lot of fighting competitions. First off the ability of the person fighting you, does he have any fighting training does he do any type of heavy physical training at all. weight difference did you outweigh the guy by like two weight classes. the guys state of mind, was he high on drugs or smashed off his face on alchol. From my own perspective where I live the likly source of trouble on a night out are drunken rugby players, so while they have some physical training and are generaly the same weight or larger than I am, they are usually also pissed. When I was in my early 20s and out on the town I would somtimes scrap with these guys and they never gave me much trouble. I find it a lot more difficult to take out a guy who has been training 5+ years in BJJ and does some type of training everyday, is the same weight as me and is psyched up and ready to fight. I am not saying that every streetfight is easy plus you have the added danger of fighting more than one opponent and wepons etc that is different and obviously fighting for you life in those types of circumstance is a very 'real' test of true kung fu. But most people on this forum if pressed will say yeah I have had to use my stuff on the street, and seem to use that to justify that it work. The real question you should ask yourself is what were the circumstances.

Gold Horse Dragon

Canada
133 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  18:28:07  Show Profile  Visit Gold Horse Dragon's Homepage Send Gold Horse Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The statement contradicts itself regarding a street fight not being a real test of KF ie. first it is said it is not and then it is said it is. Most street fights are a real test of the KF martial artist and the art. IME those I have encountered on the street were not drunk or had only drank a little, some may have been on drugs=no pain, were very angry, wanted to do me the most amount of harm possible and a number had a weapon and of course NO RULES (rules dominate competition). In competition you will encounter someone who is trained, but so are many street fighters trained...by fighting in street fights and may have had training elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

David_Jamieson

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2007 :  19:13:29  Show Profile  Visit David_Jamieson's Homepage Send David_Jamieson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
fighting is fighting, you can ramp it up or you can ramp it down.

you can measure someones kungfu better by how they treat others, not how well and quickly they can beat them down in a fight.

nowadays, physical skill as a unarmed combatant is secondary to not getting shot.

It is always good to work towards kungfu, whether you fight competitively, or somehow habitually wind up defending the weak or yourself against bandits. If a person is a thug and a street fighter, then I would venture to guess that it is more likely that s/he doesn't have much "kungfu".

Every combat is different whether it's for real or if it's for sport or money.

-Keep on keeping on.
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  05:11:50  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys you both made good points, my main point was that fighting is an individual thing, each fight or physical confrontation is different and no type of fighting is the holy grail of 'real kung fu'. From my own perspective fighting on the streets when I was younger was easy but the environment is different to certain cities or places in the world where wepons are more of an issue for instance. In these cases it would be irrisponsible for a martial artist to escalate things and create the fight, defending yourself or others is a different thing however. Obviously if a martial artist has to defeat multiple armed opponents intent to do him harm that is more of a test of kung fu than a cage fight for example.
Go to Top of Page

David_Jamieson

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  13:44:53  Show Profile  Visit David_Jamieson's Homepage Send David_Jamieson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
multiple opponents are more often than not a test of cardiovascular endurance, ability to run fast and hiding. :) seriously. :) :)

-Keep on keeping on.
Go to Top of Page

yogabrian

35 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2007 :  19:09:10  Show Profile  Visit yogabrian's Homepage Send yogabrian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just curious, how often have you all been in an actual street fight?
Go to Top of Page

David_Jamieson

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  08:15:17  Show Profile  Visit David_Jamieson's Homepage Send David_Jamieson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
more times in my youth than in my 30's and now that im into my 40's, I don't find myself in streetfights at all anymore.

but in all honesty, I really couldn't count how many times I've been in punch ups and rows. Lot's I guess, more than average for sure.
sate your curiousity? :)

-Keep on keeping on.
Go to Top of Page

David_Jamieson

Canada
89 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  08:20:23  Show Profile  Visit David_Jamieson's Homepage Send David_Jamieson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also add that over the last few years I have found it difficult to find people who want to mess around in a safer environment overall. Gloves, headgear that sort of thing. Have encountered a few mouthboxers that never went here not there or deteriorated into some pissing match that again, went nowhere, but have been lucky enough to find a handful of guys who don't mind going hard now and then to get the yayas out.

so, streetfighting is rare, partners with any real intention are even harder and challenge matches are a joke that never happen, so I can't be bothered with them. Last time I was challenged I was handed over to some proxy dude who didn'yt even live in teh same country as me and then wanted me to go ou of my way to go to where he was and so on. Just a bunch of crap. I can't be bothered with people like that. Either they show up at their own expense or they can move on. :-)

-Keep on keeping on.
Go to Top of Page

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2007 :  09:40:58  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get to street fight anytime someone resist arrests or is in a brawl at the fine bars in mt neck of the woods, I don't have a choice. I do have a choice at the end of the melay which ones go to jail.

Kew-Do

"They are all perfect"...
Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2007 :  10:27:43  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
david, I am with you on the whole challenge match thing. It always ends up being fly out to where I live or fight such and such as my stand in, they are always a pointless waste of energy. I will often post up what open tournements I am going to compete in hoping I will meet some of these guys, but never happens. Then they say they dont fight 'rules' only street fight and it becomes a sheild to hide behind IMO for example my stuff is too dangerous for the ring or cage, as a traditional chinese martial artist that gets right up my nose and gives people in other combat sports or from other styles the wrong impression.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2