Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Pak Mei, Lung Ying & Other Hakka Systems
 Video: Lung Ying
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:39:35  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok guys, here i am:

You must be logged in to see this link.

"A man who discovers that he is being boned by an enemy is, indeed, a pitiable sight."

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  11:46:37  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool interpretation of Sam Tong. Almost identical to ours. Ask Meltdawn about what the subtle differences are. But pretty much the same. i love that you're using the footwork in the "floating" sense as it's meant to look, rather than static and robotic

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Whitebrow

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:13:22  Show Profile Send Whitebrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  18:18:22  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DC--
Thanks for the compliment on the feet...i spent i dont know how many months, hours a day, and i dont know how many shoes just doing the walking. LOL i already debriefed MD when she came back and she said the same as you about the similarities, and nothing but good things about both you and your Sifu.

Whitebrow--
Thank you. I'm assuming you train pak mei, do you also train lung ying?

Bill

"A man who discovers that he is being boned by an enemy is, indeed, a pitiable sight."
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  20:14:47  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thank her for me and thank you too! One thing we love to do is spread the ideal of Lung Ying and show the style to more people. We hope to build the reputation of the style.

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  08:22:30  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DC--

When are you coming down to sunny Florida? i'd like to come up to NY...i havent been there since i moved out.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2006 :  12:33:19  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hard to say, but i'm trying to come before the year is out. Probably when Melty returns from HK.

Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Whitebrow

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  03:53:53  Show Profile Send Whitebrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bill,

I've never trained Lung Ying, although a guy I knew years ago trained in LY and Pak Mei, and said that there were many similarities. The form you're demonstrating looks to have a lot in common with Lin Kyu, which I learned as my second PM form. I understand that Cheung Lai Chuen adapted this form to PM from Lung Ying. We practised it with slightly more emphasis on the stepping (it was heavier, for want of a better term) than your set.

The main styles I train now are Hap Kune and Hung Gar, but I still train the odd PM form when I have the time. Some of the guys on this forum met my Sifu David Rogers (Rising Crane) when he was in NY earlier this year. I take it from your earlier post that you weren't there at the time?

Rich

Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  19:27:20  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DC--
Hope you make it; we'll have fun...i'm not even considering coming up there until May...too damn cold.

Whitebrow--
No, i was not up there when your Sifu ws around...i havent actually met any of these guys from NY, yet.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2006 :  20:49:39  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hung out with David. Myself and Ten Tigers showed him Manhattan(sight seeing) after playing in the park. He's got great kung fu and he's a good teacher and traditionalist.

Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  07:38:09  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey very cool form bill, not being a dragon player I am probably missing some of the subtle movements and transitions, however from what I could see you have good power generation, good balence and are quick and acurate with your hands. The stance/footwork you use for the majority of the form seems quite similar to Wing Chun's triangle steping. In Melty's comments she says this is dragons first form, it seems quite advanced though how long do students normally spend on this form before moving on.
Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  08:43:33  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MM--

Thank you for the kind words. It is the first form, and quite frankly i cant remember how long i spent on this before moving on. The most important thing for me is the fact that i have a great Sifu. The second most important thing is that i spent months on just walking before even getting to this form. I have learned quite a few forms since then, but this is quite frankly my favorite. I think it has everything that is needed, but it is not a whole lot of fun to watch LOL. I chose to put this up because it is very easy to make this form look like crap because it is so 'basic'...there are other forms in lung ying which look much less 'basic' and are, in my opinion, easier to make look decent and perform. But, everything in LY connects, so if you 'get it' you 'gett it' straight across the board (i still have a lot to work on:)). I dont really practice forms anymore and my Sifu doesnt want to teach me anymore forms either as he says its a waste of time from this point forward...when you're done with a tool you put it away. So its just fundamentals, conditioning, chi gung and sparring now. I dont know a whole lot about Wing Chun, but I do know that you guys really emphasize angles, which is what Lung Ying does also. Our stepping puts us in a position of constantly turning the opponent back and forth. In application the steps are obviously much more subtle, but still create the angles of attack. I think one of the major differences between LY and Bak Mei (besides others) is that LY seems to use more angles while Bak Mei seems to be more straight through...but that is just from what little i have seen of Bak Mei so i dont know for sure.

Edited by - BillH on 11/13/2006 08:48:30
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  11:23:21  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the energy generation abd breathing is different in LY and BM.

Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  13:01:37  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I think the energy generation abd breathing is different in LY and BM."

yes, definately.

Go to Top of Page

Whitebrow

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2006 :  17:43:49  Show Profile Send Whitebrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I think one of the major differences between LY and Bak Mei (besides others) is that LY seems to use more angles while Bak Mei seems to be more straight through..."

The two 'original' BM sets I learned (Jik Bo and Gou Bo Toi) are very much straight in the way they're done. It's interesting (although perhaps not surprising!) that the dragon based set Lin Kyu changes angles and uses side and half steps to redirect attacks.

Bill and DC - how does the breathing work in LY?

Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  00:28:19  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very natural and relaxed, as in Tai Chi. Never hard or reverse breathing

Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2