Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Pak Mei, Lung Ying & Other Hakka Systems
 Southern Mantis Clip
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fat Grandpa

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  19:29:28  Show Profile  Click to see Fat Grandpa's MSN Messenger address Send Fat Grandpa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.

I found this today... any S. Mantis people know what movie this might be from? :)

TenTigers

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2006 :  23:28:28  Show Profile Send TenTigers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you got the wrong clip

"I will NOT be of the generation that killed Kung-Fu!"
Go to Top of Page

Fat Grandpa

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  01:32:50  Show Profile  Click to see Fat Grandpa's MSN Messenger address Send Fat Grandpa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops! Here's the right one :p You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  16:14:11  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um, isn't that on the other thread already???

O God
You know why I am happy:
It is because I seek Your company,
not through my own (efforts).

O God,
You decided and I did not.
I found the Friend beside me
when I woke up!

Go to Top of Page

Fat Grandpa

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2006 :  20:46:22  Show Profile  Click to see Fat Grandpa's MSN Messenger address Send Fat Grandpa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... figured I'd bring it over to the forum where S.Mantis peeps were likely to be hanging out, see if any of them knew anything about it. Of course in the other thread it turns out my question could've been answered by myself if I'd been a little more observant, lol.
Go to Top of Page

siu lum

89 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  03:34:24  Show Profile Send siu lum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its a clip from an old Kwan Tak Hing movie "Huang Fei-hong xing juan hui qi lin (1956) clip. the first half is hong kong style SBG, and the second half loooks like the 18 point.

we are spiritual beings having a human experience
Go to Top of Page

kismet

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  08:16:18  Show Profile  Visit kismet's Homepage Send kismet a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

After placing this clip on my site some months back I did some research as I wanted to know who the southern mantis masters were in the film. It was interesting to find out that during the Wong Fei Hung serial initial run (1949-1960), fame martial artists and opera performers were often invited to record their art for posterity.

I was sent a scan which may provide further information to those that are interested.

Edited by - kismet on 11/03/2006 08:22:11
Go to Top of Page

siu lum

89 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  11:34:00  Show Profile Send siu lum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow!!! nice kismet. thanks for the article. i have been trying to get a copy of that entire "huang fei-hung" series for a while, but its nowhere to be found.

Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  12:35:37  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too, and that's a real shame. I'm gonna ask WT since he lives in HK.

With malice toward none; with charity for all; with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the nation's wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow and his orphan...to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

siu lum

89 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2006 :  23:14:53  Show Profile Send siu lum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dc.. i heard they released the series some years back on DVD in China only. maybe we can find some connections in HK? can anybody out there help us out??

Go to Top of Page

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  03:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been trying to find this as well, and I think its pretty much non-excistance in the 'western' world. Someone with connecton in the audio-video world be aware! There's people interested in this, you'll prolly want to market it the same way those old Jackie Chan etc. movies are being sold ;) (ie, CHEAP DVD packages!)

Every tiger started as a kitten ...
I like my whisky old and the woman young!
Go to Top of Page

Firehawk

USA
67 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  06:29:51  Show Profile Send Firehawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi guys i dont know if this is what you guys are asking about but there are alot of Wong Fei Hung movies at this link with Kwan Tak Hing
You must be logged in to see this link.

Robert Bayne
Go to Top of Page

Asmo

329 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  12:29:38  Show Profile  Visit Asmo's Homepage Send Asmo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far only Dreadnaught (awesome movie btw, must see!) and Magnificent Butcher are movies I've seen available with English subs

Every tiger started as a kitten ...
I like my whisky old and the woman young!

Edited by - Asmo on 11/04/2006 12:30:27
Go to Top of Page

Buby

21 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  15:43:35  Show Profile Send Buby a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, this article says Pak Mei is the originator of S.Mantis. Why not red brow?

Buby
Go to Top of Page

3 Circle Method

Australia
1539 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2006 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Visit 3 Circle Method's Homepage  Click to see 3 Circle Method's MSN Messenger address Send 3 Circle Method a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Redbrow was a sect that split from whitebrow or a faction of the same art under Bak Mei? I was told that those arts all come from Bak Mie!

3CM
Go to Top of Page

n/a

517 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  13:15:01  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if Ng Mui could be responsible for Plum Flower Fist and Wing Chun, I guess Bak Mei can be responsible for 3 or 4 arts himself. I wonder how many in total he's supposedly responsible for.

"If you KNEW betta, you'd DO betta! Get the ____ out of here!"-Mike Tyson in the film "When Will I Be Loved"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2