Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Wing Chun
 Newb Question for Wing Chunners (any lineage)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alerten22

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  06:14:19  Show Profile  Send Alerten22 a Yahoo! Message Send Alerten22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plain and simple are there any advancement movements at all in any Wing Chun drills, sets, forms (whatever you want to call any sequence of movements)

The Rigid person is a disciple of death; The soft, supple, and delicate are lovers of life. -Lao Tzu

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  10:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Many, it also depends on the system that you practice. I have had the fortune of learning 3 systems of Wing Chun... I have 5 variations of Don Chi Sao ...10 Variations of Cross Arm Chi Sao 10 Variations of Lop Sao Drills Many Variations of the Pak Sao drill, Seung Chi Sao (Double arm chi Sao) And Chi Gerk ( Leg chi Sao)

Kew-Do

Give me a fish and I eat for today....Show me how to fish so that I can teach others to catch them for me...
Go to Top of Page

Alerten22

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  02:20:36  Show Profile  Send Alerten22 a Yahoo! Message Send Alerten22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering...

I know Ark Y. Wong taught some sort of family version of Wing Chun, what lineage might that be... is that a well known version? do you know it Kew-Do? As i understand it that is the only lineage i have heard that actually has advancing stepping in it... although i don't doubt other lineages do have advancing steppings.

The Rigid person is a disciple of death; The soft, supple, and delicate are lovers of life. -Lao Tzu
Go to Top of Page

Kew-Do

USA
920 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  06:17:51  Show Profile  Visit Kew-Do's Homepage Send Kew-Do a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry, I've never heard of Ark Y.... Most system of Wing Chun/Yong Chun have effective footwork in their system.

Kew-Do

Give me a fish and I eat for today....Show me how to fish so that I can teach others to catch them for me...
Go to Top of Page

n/a

517 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2006 :  13:20:02  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I recently saw Gary Lam's Awesome Wing Chun Kicking Techniques (volume 2, I think), and the last few minutes of scene 5 were truly awesome for Wing Chun, though they didn't involve much kicking that I recall. I wish that those kinds of technical breakdowns and workshops were available on DVD for Guangzhou and Hong Kong Bak Mei Pai, but it'll never happen....
Go to Top of Page

Alerten22

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  03:08:52  Show Profile  Send Alerten22 a Yahoo! Message Send Alerten22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Recent talkings with another teacher i have heard that Ark Y. Wong wasn't that great of a teacher, just more on the famous side. He messed with people teaching them crap... and only teaching completely devoted people the real stuff (then i know more details as i was told about this and how it worked... so i got the different angles for a few of the situations ripped people off)... I don't claim this is true... i actually doubt it because my teacher has used techniques while he was just messing around i was trying as hard as i could and he wipped me fast and easy... even after me doing a few nice blocks and one counter strike. (once again, he was messing around with me... i was trying my best)

But on the other side... i guess it could be true. I also was told by this same person that said Ark Y. Wong ripped people off often, he did actually know some good martial arts... just that this teacher i was talking to said he wasn't really impressed although he has been doing martial arts from quility teachers for over 30 years... i believe he had more then 2 really quility teachers he stuck with for many years.

From this teacher... i have been learning my system but slightly differently and it gives me much harder workout when i'm not going fast at all and that is without great stances, but still i'm getting a hard workout... i find this really wierd specially with my other teachings and i hope to learn more about this.

I'm not sure if Ark Y. Wong was really great anymore. Even though all or almost all his practitioners really push the Ark Y. Wong stuff. (i don't know why they push the Ark Y. Wong stuff so much, nor do i claim to)

Edited by - Alerten22 on 06/19/2006 03:10:49
Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2006 :  04:47:35  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First off I would like to adress the question of advanced technique, this can only be built on the solid foundation of the basics. The problem is nobody wants to learn the basics. The basics are boring as **** and with stance work uncomfortable as well. The Sifu of today can only really show you what to do and say practice this outside of class and then move onto more interesting things that people are paying to learn. In the past perhaps only when a certain level of accomplishment had been reached would the sifu contemplate if he should teach the student anymore, then again he was teaching a skill of real value that could be the difference between life and death. The difference in skill between the teacher and his top students is normally a measure of the basics learnt and not the more advanced stuff which both know.
Second I think we need to tread carefully when saying I was told this about such and such sifu. the problem and this is more true in WC circles than in most other CMA is politics. Disagrements occur between sifus or their students due to personalities again this is more common today with less emphysis on Kung fu morality. With Wing Chun however it has always been who has the most skill could do the talking, the top guys would never fight though so who knows who really is the best. If the teacher will still cross hands with his students, not just his top students then it is a good bet he has real skill and loves to fight and that makes him a good Wing Chun man, but not necessarily a good teacher which requires a load of other skills and knowledge, but I belive this has been covered in previous posts in detail.
Go to Top of Page

Alerten22

USA
104 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  01:13:43  Show Profile  Send Alerten22 a Yahoo! Message Send Alerten22 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting... i will ponder on what you have wrote.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2