Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Other Southern Kung Fu Systems
 Southern Distinction?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  08:14:43  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny I have seen some southern monkey that is basically in a full crouch during fighting and forms. Then I have seen some Wing Chun styles were there is only a slight bend of the legs used basically standing fully upright. different style have a variety of ways to generate power and hit with a variety of body parts and hand shapes. all style will include punches and kicks from various angles. style may or may not include throws, locks, ground fighting, point striking. but the essence of what makes an art different is its philosophy, I am not talking wishy washy spiritualism but the mentality, stratergy and fighting spirit of the art. If you think these are all the same then I think you dont know the true essence of chinese kung fu.
Go to Top of Page

CLF Devil

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  14:43:27  Show Profile  Visit CLF Devil's Homepage  Send CLF Devil an AOL message  Click to see CLF Devil's MSN Messenger address Send CLF Devil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TenTigers

chut sing tong long is an enigma. It is the most southern Northern system I've seen. It looks like a southern system played by a northern practitioner.

"I will NOT be of the generation that killed Kung-Fu!"

You have a link or a clip or something?

Thanks

I am the user previously known as "Infrazael"
Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2006 :  07:40:13  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
try googling seven star preying mantis (chat sing tong long) it is quite a popular style of mantis at least here in britain so you should get a few hits.
Go to Top of Page

CLF Devil

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2006 :  23:45:24  Show Profile  Visit CLF Devil's Homepage  Send CLF Devil an AOL message  Click to see CLF Devil's MSN Messenger address Send CLF Devil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Seven Star. I didn't understand the Cantonese, mind you.

Yeah I've seen that stuff. Lots of bin jing, seems pretty intricate as well.

I am the user previously known as "Infrazael"
Go to Top of Page

Gold Horse Dragon

Canada
133 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  21:20:25  Show Profile  Visit Gold Horse Dragon's Homepage Send Gold Horse Dragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take a look a a Bak Sillum style such as Sifu Kwong Wing Lam does. Then take a look at Hung Gar. The difference can really be seen between these two, showing the difference between northern and southern. However, there are always the exceptions.

Go to Top of Page

elcuervo

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  13:53:46  Show Profile  Visit elcuervo's Homepage Send elcuervo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just my two cents worth.. Master Richard Vera, is both a Southern and Northern practitioner, he explained it to me in simple terms.. He stated that the southern systems use shorter blocks and don't extend the same as the Northern system do.

The southern styles tend to use low horse stances for training and endurance, but when used in a practical matter the horse is in a 3/4 stances, that is to say your legs are very slightly bent. The southern systems tend to use very low kicks and swipes to bring down on opponent or brake there knee caps.

As for the Northern systems they tend to extend much farther and always tend to maintain there very low horse. Now we must keep in mind that the people from the north were taller so it makes sense that when the northern systems keep a low horse they still are at normal height.

I know this is an over simplification, but I think it's right on the dot.

Edited by - elcuervo on 08/01/2006 13:57:02
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2006 :  21:56:05  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting points

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2