Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Other Southern Kung Fu Systems
 Southern Distinction?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  09:15:49  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On another forum the question was asked, what is the difference between Northern and Southern kung fu? Or rather what characteristics of both makes them different?

One of the things that I pointed out was our low rooted stances to which someone pointed out that ANY style that has low stances are rooted. I couldn't dispute that since I didn't know for sure. Thoughts?

I am sure this subject was covered MANY times before on the Southern Fist forum, but its not like I can look it up anymore so...

Also, this forum needed a little life, and I hope this does it.

-ft

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Ping Choi

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  10:32:09  Show Profile  Visit Ping Choi's Homepage Send Ping Choi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cant remember where I got this from, but this is the understanding I have.

Northern: refers to the geographic origin of the style but has also come to mean styles that include tumbling routines, very mobile stances, emphasises kicks.

Southern: refers to styles originating in South China, but also means styles that are thought to emphasize hand movements from stable low stances.

I may be wrong, I am new to this...
Go to Top of Page

southernkungfu

USA
584 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  10:52:38  Show Profile  Visit southernkungfu's Homepage  Click to see southernkungfu's MSN Messenger address Send southernkungfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hear that a lot that northern systems don't focus on higher stances. But when I learned we did place empasis on low, strong stances.

I think and I certainly could be wrong that particular styles may use higher stances in both lower and southern. Wing Chun for example is Southern and I don't recall the emphasis on low stances.

DJCaldwell
Administrator
Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:40:44  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess just for clarification, I meant the techniqes used in each style, not the regions.

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

BillH

211 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  13:20:06  Show Profile  Visit BillH's Homepage Send BillH a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Thinking to myself*

"Please, Please dont say 'Southern doesnt use kicks because the cities are so crowded, and so they emphasize hands, blah, blah blah'...please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!..."

I feel it coming...

Edited by - BillH on 03/09/2006 13:23:07
Go to Top of Page

TenTigers

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2006 :  17:27:06  Show Profile Send TenTigers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
add to Bill's request-don't mention boats, or rice paddies either

"I will NOT be of the generation that killed Kung-Fu!"
Go to Top of Page

CLF Devil

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  04:45:35  Show Profile  Visit CLF Devil's Homepage  Send CLF Devil an AOL message  Click to see CLF Devil's MSN Messenger address Send CLF Devil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh. . . . . I think the "stance" thing gets confusing. Southern arts like Bak Mei, Lung Ying, Wing Chun, Wuzhu Quan, and Tong Long use high stances. Very high in fact.

CLF and Hung Ga train with lower stances, then use higher ones for fighting.

Northern styles like Baji and Pi Qua (i think) use low stances. So yeah. . . . Northern has more low stances than Southern. But they both train with low stances and nobody gets that low in a real fight.

so yeah.

overgeneralized post.

I am the user previously known as "Infrazael"
Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2006 :  09:10:52  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CLF Devil

Eh. . . . . I think the "stance" thing gets confusing. Southern arts like Bak Mei, Lung Ying, Wing Chun, Wuzhu Quan, and Tong Long use high stances. Very high in fact.

CLF and Hung Ga train with lower stances, then use higher ones for fighting.

Northern styles like Baji and Pi Qua (i think) use low stances. So yeah. . . . Northern has more low stances than Southern. But they both train with low stances and nobody gets that low in a real fight.

so yeah.

overgeneralized post.

I don't think its fair to call this an "overgeneralized post" since I was asking the opinions of others rather than claiming to make factual statements.

I'm not sure and I don't claim to be an expert. Your input is definitely appreciated without condescending remarks on the side.

With all respect.

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

Fut Sao

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  15:19:16  Show Profile  Visit Fut Sao's Homepage Send Fut Sao a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kwong Sai Jook Lum gee Tong Long Pai use very low stances in advanced stages and so does Fut Sao Wing Chun. Low stances are incorperated with monkey footworks.
Go to Top of Page

CLF Devil

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  17:56:21  Show Profile  Visit CLF Devil's Homepage  Send CLF Devil an AOL message  Click to see CLF Devil's MSN Messenger address Send CLF Devil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No no no. . .. MY post was overgeneralized. Not yours.

Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  10:49:33  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CLF Devil

No no no. . .. MY post was overgeneralized. Not yours.

Well I feel sheepish...

bah.

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2006 :  16:13:04  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same for Lung Ying actually. We also use those low stances whenever necessary and the "shuffle steps" of Mor Kiu can be applied from high or low points. Tiger Leaping Over The Wall has numerous low postures and even performs jumping and jump kicks from that posture.

"One who dies for the love of the material world, dies a hypocrite. One who dies for the love of the hereafter, dies an ascetic. But one who dies for the love of the Truth, dies a sufi."

Go to Top of Page

method man

United Kingdom
283 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2006 :  13:32:27  Show Profile Send method man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
we know the arts of areas in china are different but making a general south-north devision is a little to general as differences may be dependant on the geography, ethnic diversity, religion, economics, and scoial structure. For example we know a lot of arts from the south have either been impacted on or brought by the hakka (Guest)people. we know that the jin people of western china where fundemental in the development of Xing yi, tan tui and other MA. We know places near the shaolin temple in Honan use shaolin typle techniques the same can be said of towns and villages near wu dong shan or the other sacred daoist mountains. emai shan had both doaists and buddhists living there and it has some techniques/styles that are buddhist and some that are daoist. However some things will remain shroaded in mystery I think on SFO I bought up the similarities between Wing Chun and Yin Fu Bagua Zang but in the history of both there is no conection, region wise they are far apart yet they have a lot in common.
Go to Top of Page

3 Circle Method

Australia
1539 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  18:39:40  Show Profile  Visit 3 Circle Method's Homepage  Click to see 3 Circle Method's MSN Messenger address Send 3 Circle Method a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is no difference, fighting is fighting!

Each art has low and high stances and you should do kicks and punches to all gates.

Garry
Go to Top of Page

Choy Lay Fut Sifu

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2006 :  22:33:32  Show Profile  Visit Choy Lay Fut Sifu's Homepage Send Choy Lay Fut Sifu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like southern styles much better personally. Chaat Sing Tong Long can be very nice though, if it's a good version. Only my opinion....don't have all the Bok Pai Yan get all defensive.

Best of luck in your training,

Sifu Michael Parrella
Go to Top of Page

TenTigers

USA
338 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2006 :  01:10:33  Show Profile Send TenTigers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
chut sing tong long is an enigma. It is the most southern Northern system I've seen. It looks like a southern system played by a northern practitioner.

"I will NOT be of the generation that killed Kung-Fu!"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2