Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Other Southern Kung Fu Systems
 Post your JOWGA videos here
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Seamus

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  12:25:35  Show Profile Send Seamus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone willing to share.

pace

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  13:40:37  Show Profile Send pace a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this afternoon...
Go to Top of Page

Seamus

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2006 :  14:18:51  Show Profile Send Seamus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  09:32:19  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seamus

You know, I've seen the clips on this website before. I guess what really confuses me is the mantis thrown in there. The Jow Ga Kung Fu they are doing through most of the video is not the same as Jow Ga Praying Mantis. Jow Ga Praying Mantis is a different lineage and style all together...

*perplexed*

ft

What's in YOUR kwoon?

Edited by - funnytiger on 02/15/2006 09:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Seamus

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  13:48:55  Show Profile Send Seamus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never heard of a Jowga Mantis. Can anyone provide insight. Although i did see a guy doing a mantis form on the link above. Hello Funny Tiger. I see youve made it over from the rd table.
Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2006 :  14:13:12  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Seamus!

Yeah, I seem to find my way around, huh?

Here is a link to a topic about Jow Ga Praying Mantis here on SRT:

Hope this helps!

What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

Seamus

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2006 :  10:01:40  Show Profile Send Seamus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  02:43:29  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now THAT was a cool clip! Love to see the kids having fun!

The greatest achievement the warrior can obtain is self enlightenment! This is sought with a battling heart and a virturous spirit!!!
Go to Top of Page

WallyWu

7 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  23:29:32  Show Profile  Visit WallyWu's Homepage Send WallyWu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
what?! thats my sifu school, who posted that online?

"none can defense"
Go to Top of Page

n/a

3 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2006 :  12:48:21  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this was an interesting topic to look into as Iím starting jow ga training soon (well hopefully). I agree with the different groups of jow Ga different styles with the same name (as discussed in the thread mentioned above). Chaujia/Chow Gar (Chau's family Praying Mantis founded by Chou Ah-Nan) is a southern style of mantis. Jow Lung who founded the jow gar style trained in northern shaolin techniques in kek lok si temple (shoaling temple in Malaysia). However I couldnít find what styles were being taught at kek lok si temple (to see if there were possibly other influences that Jow Lung was exposed to). When i looked into what styles were grouped under northern shaolin (what was taught in the northern shaolin monasteries) i found that there were 4 courts teaching martial arts which were: Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin), Ying Jow (Eagle Claw), My Jung Law Horn (Lost Track of Buddha's Disciples) and Tang Lang (Praying Mantis) I donít know if these we there the styles taught at kek lok si. From what Iíve read it seems like Jow Lung only trained in Bak Sil Lum (in the monastery) under abbot Chian Yi. So as far as I can tell Jow Gar is made up Choy gar, Hung gar and Bak Sil Lum (head of Hung, the tail of Choy and the patterns of the tiger and leopard) but no mantis. I did however find mention of Dean chinís Jow ga were it is said ďHis curriculum included techniques and sets from northern eagle claw, praying mantis, etc Ė ďthe best of each systemĒĒ so perhaps the forms resembling mantis are from this line of descent.
I found mention of a form called flying mantis jow gar ÖÖ but couldn't find any information with regards to family/style/lineage. (You must be logged in to see this link.) but seems as if the video has been removed, I suspect this belongs to the Chou Ah-Nan line of descent.

Hope this is helpful and it would be cool if anyone has anything to add or remove.

Eagles may soar, but weasels donít get sucked into jet engines
Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2006 :  12:49:19  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by void

I thought this was an interesting topic to look into as Iím starting jow ga training soon (well hopefully). I agree with the different groups of jow Ga different styles with the same name (as discussed in the thread mentioned above). Chaujia/Chow Gar (Chau's family Praying Mantis founded by Chou Ah-Nan) is a southern style of mantis. Jow Lung who founded the jow gar style trained in northern shaolin techniques in kek lok si temple (shoaling temple in Malaysia). However I couldnít find what styles were being taught at kek lok si temple (to see if there were possibly other influences that Jow Lung was exposed to). When i looked into what styles were grouped under northern shaolin (what was taught in the northern shaolin monasteries) i found that there were 4 courts teaching martial arts which were: Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin), Ying Jow (Eagle Claw), My Jung Law Horn (Lost Track of Buddha's Disciples) and Tang Lang (Praying Mantis) I donít know if these we there the styles taught at kek lok si. From what Iíve read it seems like Jow Lung only trained in Bak Sil Lum (in the monastery) under abbot Chian Yi. So as far as I can tell Jow Gar is made up Choy gar, Hung gar and Bak Sil Lum (head of Hung, the tail of Choy and the patterns of the tiger and leopard) but no mantis. I did however find mention of Dean chinís Jow ga were it is said ďHis curriculum included techniques and sets from northern eagle claw, praying mantis, etc Ė ďthe best of each systemĒĒ so perhaps the forms resembling mantis are from this line of descent.
I found mention of a form called flying mantis jow gar ÖÖ but couldn't find any information with regards to family/style/lineage. (You must be logged in to see this link.) but seems as if the video has been removed, I suspect this belongs to the Chou Ah-Nan line of descent.

Hope this is helpful and it would be cool if anyone has anything to add or remove.

I think you are pretty close to summing it up perfectly. Jow Ga is the mixture of Choy Ga, Hung Ga and Bak Sil Lum and has been known to be called "Hung Tao, Choy Mei". From what my Sifu told me about the Dean Chin curriculum he did in fact teach some mantis, but was very careful in saying that it was not a part of the 5 Tigers lineage. It seems lot of schools will adopt forms from other styles into their curriculum but that does not mean that the form becomes a part of the style.

I'm curious where you got your information on the shaolin temples. My source says that the temple was called, Gi Leu, not Kek Lok Si.

Not that it really matters, just curious. :)

Also, where will you be starting your training? What Sifu will you be training under?

::salute::

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

n/a

3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  08:54:47  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey funny tiger .... the teacher i am going to start training under is Master Raymond Kueng. If you have heard anything a would love to hear it. The only information i could find on this master is You must be logged in to see this link. .As for the name of the temple, i found it mentioned on a few separate websites of jow gar schools. I'll try and find them again. I typed in the name you mentioned (Gi Leu) and found matches as well. I'll try and look into this further. just for curiosity, it could be a translation issue ...

Go to Top of Page

funnytiger

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  09:22:37  Show Profile  Visit funnytiger's Homepage Send funnytiger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ah yes... translations are tricky as hell. if you found out anymore please do post it here!

check your pm

- ft

-----------------------
What's in YOUR kwoon?

Go to Top of Page

n/a

3 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2006 :  10:36:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks got the PM, sent one back..... and if i find out anything more i'll post it ......

Go to Top of Page

Tailik

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2006 :  22:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Tailik's Homepage Send Tailik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Intermediate. students: You must be logged in to see this link.

Man Gee Kune Dsui Chak (1/2)

Sueng Bay Sau Chop Jai (3/4)

(1/2) Siu Ying Jow Kuen

(1st half) Fa Kuen

Tai Lik

Go to Top of Page

Tailik

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2006 :  19:30:53  Show Profile  Visit Tailik's Homepage Send Tailik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are two more:

1/4 "Gwok Gee Kune" (the clip title says Chai Jong, but it's incorrect)

"Siu Fook Fu" (last 1/4)

Tai Lik
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2