Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Southern Styles
 Other Southern Kung Fu Systems
 UK Lau Gar Kuen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Yeeu Kui

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  09:38:55  Show Profile Send Yeeu Kui a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any other LGK practitioners on here?

or is it just me?

"Residue Of Shaolin!"

laugar

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Visit laugar's Homepage Send laugar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there fellow LGK'er
Go to Top of Page

Yeeu Kui

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  11:44:00  Show Profile Send Yeeu Kui a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there to you too.

That makes 2 so far

"Residue Of Shaolin!"
Go to Top of Page

Ping Choi

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  15:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Ping Choi's Homepage Send Ping Choi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL.....

Me too, for the last 6 years.
Go to Top of Page

n/a

2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  16:23:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm hung gar but I have a question for you guys. Is anyone of you familiar with the 3 lau gar sets in the Wong Fei Hong lineage of Hung gar? If so, are they the same as yours and do you only have 3 forms in your version of lau gar?

Edited by - n/a on 02/08/2006 16:25:35
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  16:42:56  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is going to be a rehashed subject. The two are different. Supposedly the Lau Gar in Hung Gar is supposedly a mok gar set but modified to fit the phillosphy of Hung gar and was named Lau Gar after the person. However, there is a twist in that Mok Gar had a set that purportedly came from Lau Gar so go figure.

The Lau Gar in the UK has some similar looking moves found in wing chun or so people say. I have yet heard whether any of the Lau Gar people in the UK have gone back to China-to the Lau village itself to see if theirs is the same or if may be from another Lau branch/village style.

The Lau Gar I learned from my Instructor came from his Lau village. However, I to have not confirmed if it is the same that is publicised in some china based web pages. Talking with ping choi however, ours is not the same as the UK.

Go to Top of Page

Yeeu Kui

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  18:17:54  Show Profile Send Yeeu Kui a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are totally different.

"Residue Of Shaolin!"
Go to Top of Page

laugar

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2006 :  19:21:42  Show Profile  Visit laugar's Homepage Send laugar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen all three of Hung Gar's Lau forms and they dont look like any of the sets that we do, I also heard that thay come from Mok Gar a Master named Lau
Go to Top of Page

Ping Choi

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  07:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Ping Choi's Homepage Send Ping Choi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the above is true, there seems to be many forms of Lau Gar, I am told it is a common surname so I suppose there have many Master Lau's.

I am sure we went over this 100 times on SF, can anyone put a link on here so the other pages can be referenced??

It would be nice to get to see the other forms of LGK other than the UK form, SleepingDragon, I guess you arnt in the UK are you??
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2006 :  14:03:42  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No in the states, on a tiny deserted island, well actually it's not deserted. : )
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  01:29:01  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can some of you guys provide some footage(clips) of Lau Gar?

Devotion is the duty of the deciple, and right guidance is the burden of the master!!
Go to Top of Page

Ping Choi

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  18:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Ping Choi's Homepage Send Ping Choi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm, not without taking footage of myself and I don't think my skill level would give you a very good impression of the style.....
Go to Top of Page

Yeeu Kui

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  19:01:53  Show Profile Send Yeeu Kui a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are not very many clips available on the net. I found one once but it was so bad the guy who did it took it off his site. He was "supposed" to be a black sash etc but he looked worse than I do. Can't remember the blokes name but he was not part of the BKFA.

"Residue Of Shaolin!"
Go to Top of Page

dragonclaw

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2006 :  19:34:57  Show Profile Send dragonclaw a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just like Lung Ying...very little footage on the net. Ah well, what can one do??

Devotion is the duty of the deciple, and right guidance is the burden of the master!!
Go to Top of Page

Ping Choi

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  04:25:35  Show Profile  Visit Ping Choi's Homepage Send Ping Choi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeeu,

Do you have the footage or was it just a link you had, be nice to know who the perpetrator was

DragonClaw,

If ever you are in the UK, let me know, from what I have seen we are quite open about our style so you would be more than welcome to come along and have a look for your self. I think the reason why there is no UK LGK footage is because the general line of thought is, if you want to learn or just know more about Lau Gar you will come to a class. Movies and stuff are great to get a superficial look at a form, but you cant beat actually doing it.

But saying that, I do wish there was more out there for others to see. Just for new students to see what it is about and to get more background on the style.

Thanks for your interest...
Go to Top of Page

SleepingDragon

78 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  16:51:45  Show Profile  Visit SleepingDragon's Homepage Send SleepingDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonclaw

Just like Lung Ying...very little footage on the net. Ah well, what can one do??

I had taped Sifu Cheung of Hong Kong doing a Dragon form along with Sifu Li Fei Pui of Doing a form but stupidly mixed up my tapes and it got erased. I was intending to send it to them but to my horror-poof.

As for my lau gau I only remember 3 of the 6 handsets. I know the moves more or less, but performing it would be like trying to translate a dyslexics thoughts. : )
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Southern Kung Fu Net Online Community © 2007 NYSouthernKungFuAssociates Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2